The Google Pixel 6a is the latest in Google’s line of Pixel phones succeeding Pixel 5a launched in 2021. It packs impressive features including, a 6.1-inches OLED display, a Google Tensor G1 chip, 6GB of RAM, a 4410 mAh battery, and a dual-camera setup with a 12.2-megapixel main sensor and a 12-megapixel ultra-wide sensor. It also includes features such as 5G connectivity, IP67 water and dust resistance, and a headphone jack. The Pixel 6a runs on Android 12 and is expected to receive at least three years of software and security updates from Google.
Google Pixel 6a Key Specs and Features
- 6.1 inches OLED Display, 1080 x 2400 pixels (~429 ppi density), ~83.0% screen-to-body ratio
- Android 12, upgradable to Android 13
- Google Tensor (5 nm) Octa Core Processor
- 6GB RAM
- 12.2 MP (wide) + 12 MP (ultrawide) Dual Rear Camera
- 8 MP Front Camera
- Fingerprint Sensor (under display, optical)
- 128GB Built-in Storage
- 4G LTE
- 5G Support
- 18W Fast Charging Capacity
- 4410 mAh Non removable Li-Po Battery
The Google Pixel 6a sports similar design with the Pixel 6 series. As the smaller version of the regular Pixel 6, it measures 152.2 x 71.8 x 8.9 mm and weighs 178 g. This budget smartphone features a flat and design made of glass front using gorilla glass 3, an aluminum frame, and plastic back made of durable materials, hence, the light-weight feel.
While the display of the Google Pixel 6a is 6.1-inches, there are slim uniform bezels around the frame that hold the screen and the frame together and help protect the brittle materials from damage. In addition, there is a punch hole in the display at the top that host the front facing camera.
When you flip the phone around, you will be welcomed by the camera bump that runs along the entire width of the back to separate the two-tone colour design. The horizontal bar host the dual rear cameras and LED flash which is covered by glass lenses.
The Google Pixel 6a has several antenna with power and volume keys on the right side, a USB-C port on the bottom, and a single nano-SIM tray on the lower-left edge of the device. At the bottom and top of the phone sits loudspeaker ports.
Above all, this device is IP68 water-resistant, so you don’t have to worry about spills or splashes. The Pixel 6a is available in three colors: Chalk, Charcoal, and Sage.
The Google Pixel 6a features a 6.1-inch OLED display with a resolution of 2400 x 1080 pixels. The display has a pixel density of 429 pixels per inch (ppi) and an aspect ratio of 20:9. The OLED technology used in the display allows for deep blacks and vibrant colors, making it a great option for streaming content or viewing photos.
In terms of brightness, the Pixel 6a’s display can reach up to 1000 nits, which is bright enough to be easily viewable in most lighting conditions. The display also supports HDR content playback, which allows for a wider range of colors and contrast in supported content.
Unfortunately, the Pixel 6a only has a 60Hz refresh rate, which means scrolling won’t be quite as fluid compared to flagship models. however, it will still be able to provide excellent color accuracy, deep blacks, and good contrast, than most thanks to the device processor.
One of the attractions of the Pixel phones is the camera performance which the Google Pixel 6a has excel in. This mid-range device comes a rear dual camera comprising of 12.2-megapixel wide-angle camera and 12-megapixel ultra-wide camera.
The 12.2MP main camera is based on f/1.7 Sony IMX363 sensor with optical image stabilization, dual pixel PDAF and 27mm focal length, which provides a natural perspective and allows you to capture more of the scene in a single shot. It also has 1.4µm individual pixel that helps capture more light, resulting in better image quality, especially in low-light conditions.
While the 12MP ultrawide camera uses Sony IMX386 sensor with f/2.2 aperture, 17mm focus length, 1.25µm individual pixel and 114˚ that can be useful for capturing landscapes, architecture, and other large scenes in a single shot.
For selfie photography, Google Pixel 6a has an 8MP front facing camera that comes with an f/2.0 aperture and a 24mm (wide) lens. The pixel size on the sensor is 1.12µm. This combination makes the camera capable of capturing good quality selfies with decent detail and color accuracy.
You may also be interested in the Google Pixel 7 and the Pixel 7 Pro.
Hardware and Software
On the Google Pixel 6a smartphone is the Google Tensor G1 chip, a custom system-on-a-chip (SoC) designed by Google specifically for their Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro smartphones.
The Tensor G1 chip includes a range of custom-designed components, including the CPU, GPU, AI accelerator, and image signal processor (ISP). According to Google, the Tensor G1 chip is designed to deliver significant improvements in performance, power efficiency, and camera capabilities.
The Tensor G1 chip has a pair of Cortex-X1 cores that clocks at 2.8GHz, with Cortex-A76 cores clocked at 2.25GHz, and an efficiency cluster consisting of four Cortex-A55 cores clocked at 1.8GHz. For graphics processing this chipset is paired with a 20-core Mali G78 MP20 and offers up to 6GB of RAM and 128GB of internal storage.
This device runs on the android version 12 which is upgradable to Android 13. This OS offers several features that aim to enhance the no account user experience and provide better performance, privacy, and customization options.
Furthermore, Google Pixel 6a is powered by a 4410 mAh, non-removable battery which supports fast charging using the PD3.0 technology. It also supports wireless charging speed of 18W. For connectivity, the Pixel 6a supports Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth 5.2, NFC, USB-C, and 5G connectivity, which provides faster download and upload speeds compared to 4G LTE.
Google Pixel 6a Price and Availability
Google Pixel 6a price starts at $ 283.49 / € 319.00 / £ 269.99 / ₹ 31,100 / C$ 430.00. It also start at about ₦279,999 to ₦320,500 in Nigeria.
Google Pixel 6a Specs
Here are a few specs of the Google Pixel 6a:
- Platform: Android 12, upgradable to Android 13
- Processor: Google Tensor (5 nm) Octa Core Processor (2×2.80 GHz Cortex-X1 & 2×2.25 GHz Cortex-A76 & 4×1.80 GHz Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Mali-G78 MP20
- Memory: 6GB RAM
- Colours: Chalk, Charcoal, Sage
- Dimension: 152.2 x 71.8 x 8.9 mm
- Weight: 178 g
- SIM Type: Nano SIM
- SIM Count: eSIM
- Display: 6.1 inches OLED Display, 1080 x 2400 pixels (~429 ppi density), ~83.0% screen-to-body ratio
- Screen Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 3
- Foldable Display: –
- Rear Camera: 12.2 MP (wide) + 12 MP (ultrawide) Dual Camera
- Rear Camera Features: Dual-LED flash, Pixel Shift, Auto-HDR, panorama
- Front Camera: 8 MP Camera
- Built-in Storage: 128GB
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: HSDPA 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 48, 66, 71 – GX7AS, GB62Z (USA/Canada)
- 5G: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 12, 20, 25, 28, 30, 40, 48, 66, 71, 77, 78, 260, 261 SA/NSA/Sub6/mmWave – GB62Z (USA)
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6e
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes Bluetooth 5.2, A2DP, LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: –
- USB Port: Yes USB Type-C 3.1
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- 3.5mm Jack: No
- Navigation: Yes, GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, QZSS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: –
- Barometer: Yes
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: –
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes, (under display, optical)
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: –
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: –
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: –
- Wireless Charging: –
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: –
- Dust Resistant: –
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: 4410 mAh Non removable Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 18W Fast Charging Capacity